I made sushi last night and it was so fun! My friend, also named Lauren, shared with me that recently sushi has been her go to meal so I decided to try it. I made cucumber rolls and Philly rolls. The Philly rolls had a combination of smoked salmon and cream cheese and I added cucumber to some of them. I was amazed at how good the sticky rice turned out, I was eating it straight out of the pot before making up my rolls. Here is the directions for the vinegared rice also known as sumeshi from the cookbook Easy Sushi by Emi Kazuko.
1 3/4 cups Japanese style short grained rice
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt
- Soak rice in clear cold water 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Transfer rice to a deep saucepan, add 2 cups water. Cover and bring to boil over high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. do not lift the lid. Remove from heat and leave, still covered, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in small bowl.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a large shallow dish, if you have the set-up a Japanese handai can be used, I had used a pie plate.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold the vinegar dressing into the rice. Do not stir. Let the rice cool to body temperature before making sushi.